In this post, we explain how to setup 4g LTE on ASUS RT-AX88U WiFi router. In case if you are looking to find out more, do read along.
The WiFi 6 or 802.11ax has been one of the latest standards in the WiFi technology and offers you excellent high-bandwidth, low-latency performance with its superior speed and link aggregation technology enhancements. With a considerably good number of options made available in the sphere of WiFi 6 routers, we thought of checking out one of the excellent option currently available.
Yes, we are talking about the Asus RT – AX88U AX6000 Dual Band WiFi router. Let us check out the router in more exceptional detail and understand how to set up 4G LTE on the router.
Asus RT-AX88U AX6000 Dual Band WiFi 6 Router
It is one of those routers that caters to the latest editions of WiFi technology. Of course, there are not many clients that you can test that router on, but still, it may be the right choice from being future proof.
To begin with, the router is the successor of AC88U router that you may have already used. The previous router was made available just around three years ago, and the updated version carries forward most of the features offered on the older version. There are practically not many differences between the two of them. They share the physical design, features and yes, even the number of ports.
The RT-AX88U comes with 8 LAN and one WAN ports. There is a USB 3.1 Gen 1 on the front and another one on the rear. Both the ports conform to USB 3.1 and not version 2.0 as on the AC88U router. Lack of Multi-Gigabit network ports can be an issue, however.
The router has an excellent layout inside, though. You have access to an 802.11ax option that would offer you a whopping 4333 Mbps speed on 5 GHz band and 1148 Mbps on 2.4 GHz band. You also have access to a 1.8 GHz Quad-core processor that powers the router along with 1 GB of DDR3 RAM.
The installation and setting up of your router is simple and straightforward. If you have used any of the Asus routers before, you will find it completely easy and straightforward to work with. It follows the same procedure as in the previous generations of the Asus WiFi routers.
The features offered on the new router are impressive enough. Like we stated already, the routes share most of the highlights from the previous generation of routers from Asus, especially Asus RT-AC88U. AirProtection offered by Trend Micro safeguards your router and the browsing session from the online threats. If you are accidentally or unknowingly start browsing a website that is malicious enough, you will be stopped and displayed a warning.
The option for uploading the settings through a backup file may be a good alternative. If your network comes with a host of network settings, it may be practical enough to opt for a backup and restore the parameters during the setup process. Like most of the Asus routers launched over the last few years, you would find the option for Universal Setting Restoration on this router as well. It should ideally be the best option to avoid a lengthy setup process.
Another feature that forms part of the AirProtection is the parental controls that it offers you. However, the feature we loved on the router is the Adaptive QoS that lets you customize it the way you would want it to. A few other features worth mentioning would include AirMesh and Game Boost.
The USB ports on the router can support external storage devices or can be used using it with cellular dongles.
- An assured faster WiFi performance. However, for the WiFi 6 performance, you may need to wait until the information is available. Right now, we do not have many clients on WiFi 6.
- Plenty of advanced features like AirProtection and AirMesh, to name just a few.
- Eight numbers of network ports.
- Faster NAS performance
- Easy configuration and set up.
- No multi-Gigabit port.
The Spec Sheet
|WiFi Standard||802.11ax or WiFi 6|
|Theoretical speeds||4333 Mbps on 5 GHz band and 1458 Mbps on 2.4 GHz band|
|Processor||1.8 GHz quadcore|
|Memory and storage||256 MB flash storage and 1 GB of RAM|
|MU MIMO compatibility||Yes, available|
|Physical Dimensions||30 x 18.8 x 6.04 cm|
|Ports||Teo USB 3.1 Gen 1, One Gigabit WAN and eight Gigabit LAN|
|Link Aggregation||Yes, available|
How to Setup and Configure Asus RT-AX88U?
Setting up and configuration, as we claimed already, is an excellent option. You would not need any specific technical knowledge and expertise for setting up your new router.
You would need to use a wired connection when you are setting up your router. Using it in the wireless mode can cause issues and result in an improper setup. To create a wired connection, follow the steps here –
- First, plug in the AC adapter on your device to DC In port on your router and to a power outlet.
- Connect the bundled cable from your computer to the LAN port of your router.
- The LAN LED should now blink.
- Connect the modem to the WAN port on your router.
- Plug your modem as well to a power outlet.
Once these steps have been completed, you can now begin setting up your router through an intuitive and easy to use interface. The graphical user interface should be efficient enough and provide you adequately ease in configuring your router without having to worry about the complex technicalities.
Here is what you are expected to do –
- Launch any of your favorite browsers. The interface works effectively with Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari browsers.
- Visit the web page http://router.asus.com/
- You will be asked to enter the username and password. The default username and password for your router would be admin and admin. We would advise you to change it once you have set up your connection.
The first option you would be directed would be the QIS or Quick Internet Setup. This should help you set up your router slightly faster and quickly enough. Your router should detect the type of your connection right away.
If your connection is PPPoE, PPTP, and L2TP, you will need to provide the information like user name and password obtained from your ISP.
Rest of the connection options should be self-explanatory.
How to Setup 4g LTE on ASUS RT-AX88U WiFi Router?
You can easily connect your 3G or 4G modems (generally called network dongles) to your Asus RT-AX88U AX6000 Router and access the connectivity on your other devices. The list of supported 3G or 4G modems and dongles can be obtained from here.
Follow the steps indicated here to set up your 3G or 4G LTE modem –
- From the web UI featured above, follow the path described below
General -> USB Application ->3G/4G
- Locate the option for Enable USB Modem
- Configure the following options to set up your modem –
- Location – Choose the 3G/4G service location from the drop-down list.
- ISP – Choose your ISP from the list available
- APN – Configure the APN or Access Point Network. You will get it from your service provider.
- Dial-up number and PIN – Once again, these details will be available from your service provider.
- Username and password – These details are specific to your connection. You can obtain them from your service provider.
- USB Adapter – Choose the USB adapter from the drop-down list. If you are unsure, it may be a good idea to choose Auto.
- Once you have configured all the settings, you can click on Apply and save your settings.
Please note that your router will reboot and save the changes.
Additional Settings on Asus RT- AX88U
The Web UI of the Asus RT – AX88U comes with an extensive set host of features and functions. We already explained some of them in a little detail in the introduction to the router.
The Firewall functionality will provide you with the much-needed security options for your router and other connected devices.
You can filter the content based on keywords, network services, and URL. This can be an excellent option to block unwanted content without any hiccups.
A few other utilities that would need a mention would include Device Discovery, Firmware Restoration, and Windows Printer Utility options. The Device discovery option on the settings page will let you discover the device and configure your router automatically. The firmware restoration utility can be helpful enough in addressing the concerns that you may encounter on account of a failed firmware update process. You can specify a particular version of the firmware and use it instead of a failed firmware update. The router also lets you printer sharing options from within the Router configuration page.
A noteworthy feature that we want to highlight is that the device has support for Download Master. This utility can be an excellent option for downloading files even when your desktop or laptop is switched off. You will need to use a USB device connected to your router for the Download Master utility to work.
The Concluding Thoughts
Well, the Asus RT-AX88U AX6000 Dual Band WiFi router is an excellent option and packs in a whole lot of attractive features. Apart from offering you an outstanding experience in terms of WiFi 6 connectivity option, you also have access to a host of other best features.
The features that we would want to vouch for on the device are excellent WiFi coverage, faster performance, and ease of use characteristics. The ability to use AirMesh connectivity is yet another great option you would find interesting enough. If you are already using AirMesh Setup, you should be able to use it efficiently on the router.
There are not many WiFi 6 clients available as of now, and checking the WiFi 6 performance is out of luck. However, you can be assured of a better performance even if you are using it with WiFi 5 clients. Moreover, investing in a future proof router is always a great idea.
More on Networking:
- Mi Router 4 vs. 4c vs. 3c – What’s the difference
- Best Home Firewall VPN Routers
- NETGEAR Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream AX6000 vs. TP-Link Archer AX6000
- Best WiFi 6 Routers (802.11ax)
- Best WiFi 6 Network Cards
- Configure Netgear Nighthawk m1 4G WiFi Router
- Setup Wavlink AC600
- Asus Official