Are you searching to know how to reset the Asus Router without Password? Here are your options. Read to know more!
Asus has been one of the prominent brands when it comes to routers and modems. However, with a focus on the Wireless connectivity and risk associated with letting others use your network connections – it has been imperative to configure a password for your network connection.
Given the fact that passwords are one of the most challenging things to remember, it should be essential to check out the possibility of resetting your Asus Router if you have no access to the password.
Why should you Reset your Asus Router?
There are several reasons why you would need to go through the reset procedure for your Asus Router. One of the most broader reasons could be that you have forgotten your password for the router and cannot access the settings web-interface.
The only option in those circumstances would be to check out if you can reset your Asus Router to the default factory settings so that you are back with your regular activity.
Another situation that would need you to reset your router would be that you have some issues with your router in terms of efficient functionality and are looking to resolve the problems by resetting the router.
Of course, using the password is one of the best options you would want to focus on while you are looking to ensure enhanced security for your online activity. By configuring a password, you would assure that your network connection remains safer and no one in the vicinity will have access to your WiFi network. However, this same password can play havoc if you forget it and need to reset your Asus router. Fortunately enough, some methods should assist you in addressing this concern, and you can easily reset your Asus router without even having access to your password.
How to Reset Your Asus Router to factory defaults?
There are precisely two methods you would be able to use for resetting your Asus Router. One of them will require you to have access to the username and password for your router. Please note that Asus manufactures several routers, and you would have different configurations when it comes to setting them up. However, the basic idea should ideally remain the same.
Most of the routers from Asus come with a physical reset button. Ensure that you have access to such a button on your router. Press it and keep holding it pressed for about 1 to 2 seconds. You should find the lights on the router blinking and then switching off and finally switching on.
The following settings on your router will be changed when you reset your router –
- Your router user name and password
- Your WiFi user name and password
- The firewall settings you may have configured on your router
- The port forward actions you may have set up
- The ISP address and password options you may have configured
It will also remove all the settings you may have configured.
The exact settings will be as per the following steps –
- Power on your Asus Router.
- Locate the reset button at the rear side of your router. You may need to search for it as it would be entirely invisible. This is done to ensure that it is not pressed inadvertently.
- Use a paper clip or pin to press into this reset button and keep it pressed.
- You will need to keep it pressed for about 10 to 15 seconds.
- Your router should now reboot on its own.
- Keep checking the WLAN light on your router. It should reboot on its own.
That should do it. Your router will now be reset to the factory default settings. Please note that resetting your router will not downgrade the firmware back to what it was when it was new. If the firmware has been upgraded in due course, it will continue to have the latest firmware installed on it. However, all the other settings will be reset to the factory default.
If the first method does not work for you, you will need to opt for the second method. This method is referred to as a 30 – 30 – 30 reset method. Here are the steps involved in choosing this method to reset your router –
- Switch on your Asus router
- Once it switches on, press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds. You can use a paper clip or a pin as in the previous example.
- While you are still holding the router reset button, unplug the router from the power source and hold the reset button for 30 more seconds.
- Now, turn on the power again for the router. Ensure that you are still holding the reset button pressed when you do it. Next, continue holding the button for 30 more seconds.
That should do it, and your router is reset to the default factory settings.
How to reset your Asus Router using Admin Dashboard?
Of course, the purpose of this post was to let you know how to reset your router when you do not have the password available with you. However, sometimes, you would want to reset your Asus router to resolve the issues you may be having with respect to the functionality of your Asus router.
The method here will need you to know the user name and password. If you have not changed the password and the user name before, the default user name and password will be admin and admin respectively.
Follow the steps here below –
- Launch any of your favorite browsers. We would prefer Google Chrome though
- Type in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and hit ENTER
- Enter the user name and password in the space provided and click on OK
- Locate the Advanced Settings from the left side menu bar.
- Click on
- Locate the options for Restore/Save/Upload Setting
- In the next screen, click on the Restore
- You should get the choice for confirmation of your action. Click on OK to begin the reset process.
That should do it, and your router should reset and reboot itself. Your router should be reset back into the default settings that your router came with when it was new. You can now reconfigure it from scratch.
Since all the configurations you have done on the router will be reset with this operation, you should be assured that the issues if any on your router due to an incorrect configuration should be gone.
This post is compiled focusing on the Asus router for resetting it without a password. However, the steps here should ideally be the appropriate options for almost all the routers. Of course, there may be a few minor differences in terms of the user interface, but the overall steps should ideally remain the same across your routers. Check your router documentation for a clear understanding.
Well, Asus has been one of the excellent options for world-class routers across the globe. The best in class customer care and class-leading options in terms of networking equipment is what would assist you in choosing the best routers and modems for your need. Even then, you are likely to come across a few issues concerning the proper functionality of your router.
In those circumstances, resetting your router to its default settings should be one of the best options to resolve your issues. However, the standard procedure here will need you to have access to the password. What if you do not have the password with you? Well, there is nothing to worry!
In such urgent situations, having access to the user name and password may not be easy enough. If you have no access to the password – and this includes your administrative user name and password or WiFi user name and password – you can use the method that involves the reset button or the 30 – 30 – 30 methods involving the reset button should address your concern in an effective manner.
We assume that the tips and tutorial outlined in this compilation should ideally help you address the issues efficiently. Check out those methods and share your inputs with us for the best results you could witness. Share your experiences with us.
More Resources for Reading:
- Best WiFi 6 Routers
- Asus ROG Rapture GT ax11000 vs ASUS RT ax88U
- How to Setup & Configure Asus RT- AC68U WiFi Router
- How to enter the router’s GUI (ASUSWRT)