How to Fix Windows Update error 0x80240fff in Windows 10
A lot of users are complaining of getting an error message on their new laptop whenever they try to do a Windows Update. A lot of users have expressed their frustration on social networks like reddit, looking for a possible solution. In this post I am going to talk about how to fix windows update error 0x80240fff in Windows 10.
Option – 1: Check “Defer upgrades”, then update
If you are using a Professional or Enterprise Edition of Windows 10, Check on box “Defer upgrades“, (Screenshot below) and try to update. This seems to solve the problem for most users.
Go-to Windows 10 Start>Search>Windows Update Settings>Advanced options
Alternatively, you can download the Build 1511 ISO and do an in-place upgrade
For Home Users, you can still do in-place update with the latest build using the Media Creation Tool.
Option 2: Run the Windows Update troubleshooter
This checks three things primarily.
- The Internet Connectivity
- The Network Adapter Functionality
- The Windows Update Service running or not.
Run the following steps below:
- Go-to the Control panel (Press Windows + X )
- Type troubleshooter in the search box, and click “Troubleshooting”
- Find System and Security (See Screenshot), and then click on “Fix problems with Windows Updates”
Option 3: Restart the Background Intelligent Transfer Services.
Press Windows key + R, in the text Box Type “services.msc”
- Search and find the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) from the list of services.
- Select on Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) service, right click and select “Restart”.
- Double Click to open the properties of the Service and ensure that Automatic (Delayed Start) is the option selected. Else select it, and then click on Apply.
If this does not solve this, try this advanced method to Reset and Re-install the Windows Update Services in Windows 10.