If you have a strong use case for an automated always-on internet connection, then you would need a load balancer. The best Dual WAN load balancing routers can combine two or more internet connections from different service providers into one logical link. There are cheaper software solutions as well, which you can use on a cheap Desktop PC with two ethernet ports.
Applications like Speedify and Connectify allows you to use your internet connection on your Laptop/PC into a WiFi hotspot. While it works well for Windows 7,8,8.1, however, with Windows 10’s latest build, you can use your Ethernet connection (or 3G/4G Dongle) to share your connection over WiFi. The option is available at the bottom of your Windows 10 notification panel. See below:
This works great, and it is not a fail-proof solution. For a long-term solution, a hardware platform should be your best bet. This is why we are going to discuss the best Dual WAN load balancing routers that can help you achieve a robust long-term solution. So, let’s get started.
Best Dual WAN Load Balancing Routers
While the market is flooded with different options, the way we picked our routers is based on the availability of Dual-WAN support. These products can be either Fast-Ethernet (10/100) or a Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000). You will need to select the one based on your priority and, more importantly, within your budget. So, here we begin.
1. Cisco Systems Gigabit Dual WAN (RV325K9NA)
This model only comes with wired Ethernet connections. For setting up a WiFi connection, you would need to add a speedy Dual-Band WiFi Router which needs to be purchased separately. You can use the USB ports for a 4G dongle, but do remember that they are only supported as a fallback if you are disconnected from the main internet WAN.
Other than that, you can set up a site to site VPN or set up VLANs (Virtual LANs). See some of its highlighted features:
- Dual Gigabit-Ethernet WAN ports for load balancing and business continuity
- Efficiently handles large files and concurrent users to keep workers productive
- Joins multiple sites and remote operators using a VPN
- Big capacity, powerful-performance SSL, and IP Security and VPN abilities
- Natural, browser-based device manager and easy setup wizards
2. Linksys Business Dual WAN Gigabit VPN Router
The Linksys Business Router is a decent Dual-WAN router for home or small businesses. We recommend using a separate hardware firewall for added protection. Site to site VPN is supported, but you would still need a WiFi router for wireless access. Here are its specifications below:
- Up-to 50 IPsec tunnels (for site-2-site and client-2-site VPN) and 5 Open-VPN tunnels for iOS & Android users
- Up to 900 Mbps firewall and up to 110 Mbps IPsec through-puts
- Feature-rich to engage a wide variety of business network specifications
- Champions load balancing & WAN failover for highly stable WAN connectivity
3. TP-Link Gigabit Ethernet Safestream VPN Router
TP-Link champions the affordable home and small office network solutions. They offer a wide variety of specifications, and you can pick one up based on your requirements. The one that we listed here is the TL-ER6020, which supports Dual-WAN connectivity. However, you will have to remember that it does not bond all the WAN connections together, but balances the load across them. You can attach this to your cable-modem & use it as a ‘wired‘ router to share your internet connection completely within your home or business. For wireless connections, you will need to buy a WiFi router. Here are some of the device highlights:
- Two Gigabit WAN ports, Two Gigabit LAN ports, One Gigabit LAN/DMZ port, & a console port
- Supports many VPN protocols including IPsec-PPTP &L2TP, which adds more flexibility for VPN setups
- Supports up to 50-IPsec VPN-tunnels with a hardware-based VPN engine
- Ample security features including ARP-Inspection, DoS-Defense, URL & Keyword Domain Filters & Access Control management
- Deploys One-Click restriction of IM/P2P applications to manage staff online behavior
- A professional 4-kV lightning shield which keeps your investments as secure as plausible
4. Peplink Balance 20 Dual-WAN Router
Before you decide to buy this device, just for you to know, It is only meant for load balancing & high availability or failover. You will have more room in load balancing mode as the sessions will be divided between the 2 WAN pipes. You can also set up port-based VLANs & link them to a user or group to restrict the bandwidth. Here are the device highlights:
- Dual WAN router (2-WAN ports) meant for power-users and home-office
- 2 x ‘GE WAN’ ports plus a 1x USB-WAN port for use with 4G LTE – 3G dongles
- The 3rd GE WAN port can be activated as an arbitrary upgrade with a license code available from ‘Peplink.‘
- 4-port GE LAN switch
- 150Mbps router throughput
5. UTT AC750W Dual Band Wireless AC VPN Router, Dual+ WAN Ports
The router supports both as a VPN server and as a client. VPN protocols like IPSec & PPTP are supported. For remote management, you can access this router remotely using your WAN’s public IP address. Unlike others on the list, this one does offer a WiFi AC radio built-in. See the specifications below:
- Supports Wireless AC @ 750Mbps, which is the latest wireless standard. Synchronous dual-band speed up-to 450Mbps on the 5GHz band and 300Mbps on the N band (2.4GHz).
- 3 x 7dBi aerials to ensure max area, particularly in multiple-story houses
- Dual WAN+which is configurable with up to 4 WAN ports. Optimize your uplink throughput using the load-balancing & failover multiple ISP links
- VPN(s) Supported: Up to 10 IPSec VPN tunnels together; PPTP VPN server & client mode
- Offers Enterprise-Level Performance aligned with UTT’s enterprise-level wireless product line which is highly robust and enduring
- The setup is intuitive with a web-based GUI, It offers easy setup and troubleshooting, both locally or remotely across the Internet
6. TP-Link Gigabit Dual-WAN VPN Router
You can setup VPN’s easily, and step by step instructions are available on the TP-Link website. It supports a maximum of port forwards 16 at the same time. Suitable to support up to 100 users together.
- Standards & Protocols: IEEE 802.3/IEEE802.3u/IEEE802.3ab. TCP/IP, DHCP, ICMP, NAT, PPPoE, SNTP, HTTP, DNS, IPsec, PPTP, L2TP
- Flash Storage: 8MB
- DDRAM: DDR2 @ 128MB
- LEDs: PWR, SYS, Link/Act, Speed, & DMZ
- Buttons: Reset Button
- Concurrent Sessions: 60000
7. NETGEAR ProSafe FVS336G Dual WAN VPN Firewall
You can perform load balancing & failover routing using the WAN ports. As far as bonding for something like protection monitoring and sensor placement, you would have to achieve that utilizing the switch ports. Specifications below:
- 2 Gigabit WAN ports with 4 Gigabit-LAN ports, load-balancing, & failover across dual-WAN ports
- Enterprise-class ‘Stateful Packet Inspection’ Firewall prevents undesired access to your system
- 25 dedicated IPsec-VPN tunnels and 10 SSL VPN tunnels for reliable remote access
- Up to 350 Mbps LAN-WAN throughput, with up to 10,000 mutual sessions
- Prioritize your traffic with Quality of Service (QoS) & WAN Traffic Metering
If you are looking for an enterprise-level and reliable connectivity option, the UTT ER840G Business VPN Router can be a great choice. With support for multiple channels and protocols like IPSec, PPTP, and L2TP, the router can provide support for up to 10 channels. It also provides you access to the Smart QoS functionality that can help allocate the reasonable bandwidth for all your tasks. The router provides highly secure connectivity for all your needs.
The specifications would read as here below –
- It comes with a user-friendly interface that provides the most intuitive functionality and connectivity.
- It provides a data transfer rate of up to 1 GB per second
- You can configure a site to site or a client to site configuration with ease.
- You have access to two 10/100/1000 WAN ports and three 10/100/1000 LAN ports
9. TRENDnet Gigabit Dual-WAN Router – AC3000 Tri-Band Wireless
The Tri-Band Wireless Gigabit Dual-WAN VPN SMB Router from TRENDnet provides you access to three concurrent WiFi bands. This can indeed be the best option if you are checking out the options for a maximized device networking speed. You can be assured of advanced QoS management, VLAN, and VPN capabilities to enhance your experience further. The dual WAN compatibility should be a perfect option to help you in an efficient load-balance traffic.
Some of the specifications would involve –
- You have access to the data transfer rats of up to 4000 MB per second
- Support for SSL, IPsec, PPTP, and L2TP w/IPsec VPN protocols
- The number of ports would include two Gigabit WAN ports, eight Gigabit LAN ports, one USB 3.0 port, and one Console port.
- 3 Year TRENDnet Manufacturer’s Warranty
10. Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite “ERLITE-3” Desktop Router
You can configure the Ubiquiti Edgerouter to be used as a load balancer for two ISPs (Dual Wan with 2 Ports and 1 LAN Port setup). Alternatively, it can also be set up with a single WAN and 2 LANs. For network isolation, dedicated VLANs can be configured so that your network traffic can be segmented, such as for testing, corporate, or guest networks.
As the name itself should be indicative, it is one of the best options for a more straightforward and low-cost router option among the load balancing routers. All three WAN ports are Gigabit rated, and that should be one of the considerable advantages in a small-sized router. It can offer up to 1 million 64-byte data packets per second. Silent and fan-less operation is yet another excellent option. You can be assured of quality routing, security, and management features on the router.
A few specifications would read:
- Support for WAN+2LAN, WAN+2LAN2
- The vent casing that makes the router highly durable.
- A compact and lightweight design for improved functionality and portability
- It comes with a 512MB RAM module and 2GB of ROM memory
11. Peplink-Balance One, 600Mbps Dual-WAN Router
The latest updated version now comes with support for the 11ac WiFi standard. The router also provides you with a high end 256 bit AES encryption. The Simultaneous Dual-Band 11ac WiFi and 8x GbE LAN ports are one of the positive factors that would make it one of the formidable choices you would want to opt for. If you are looking for strong resilience, the router must be one of the excellent options for your home or small business needs.
Some of the specifications offered by the router would include
- Dual WAN support for an efficient load balancing.
- It supports up to eight numbers of Gbps LAN ports.
- Enterprise-level functionality.
- Support for the advanced features like AP Controller, Remote User VPN, QoS
12. Cisco RV320 Dual WAN VPN Router (2QW1646)
If you are looking for extremely powerful network connectivity and secure firewall protection, the Cisco 2QW1646 RV320 Dual WAN VPN Router should be your top choice. The intuitive user interface is what would make it one of the prominent WAN routers that have gained a name for itself. The device would be up and running in an instant.
Some of the salient features worth the mentioning with the router would include
- Supports Gigabit Ethernet technology
- It has four number of network ports.
- Total number of ports available on the device – 6
- It provides you with a reliable and faster connectivity options.
- Failover dual-WAN interface works well and ensures constant uptime
13. ZyXEL ZyWall USG60 (USG60-NB)
The ZyXEL ZyWall USG60 is one of the excellent options in the long run and has been designed for use in small environment scenarios. The router should be one of the best fit for networks with 1 to 10 users and a maximum of 20000 users. The design may appear to be a little bland, and that would make it something not aesthetically pleasing.
Some of the features offered by the package would include
- The router offers you a Console port, a USB 2.0 port, a WAN port, four LAN/DMZ Ethernet ports, and a recessed RESET button.
- ICSA-certified Gigabit UTM firewall delivers speeds of 1000 Mbps (FW), 180 Mbps (VPN) and 90 Mbps UTM for 100,000 concurrent sessions
- You have access to one-core Cavium CN6010 CPU, backed by 1GB of RAM, 4GB of storage memory, and a Qualcomm Atheros AR8327-BL1A switch.
- The 2.4 GHz wireless connectivity.
- It offers features such as IPv6 routing, VPN connectivity, load balancing, user-aware access control, and SSL VPN Network access.
- It comes with a built-in WLAN controller enables you to centrally manage 2 access points by default and up to 18 as the demand grows.
- Load balancing features would make it one of the excellent options.
14. DrayTek Vigor2926
Coming from a Taiwanese manufacturer, the DrayTek Vigor2926 is one of the excellent options for an efficient Dual WAN router. It provides you access to a plastic construction when compared to the other competing products that are available in metal construction. It also comes with a smaller footprint.
A few of the features offered by the router would include –
- The router is equipped with a Qualcomm Atheros AR8035-A Ethernet PHY Chip, 128 MB Toshiba TC58NVG0S3ETA00 flash memory, 128MB of RAM.
- You have access to multiple VPN services types such as IPsec, L2TP with IPsec, PPTP, SSL, and Open VPN.
- You also have access to an Object-based SPI Firewall, DoS Defence and Spoofing Defence (IP and ARP Spoofing)
15. Mikrotik CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+PC
It does offer you access to a no-Switch chip option with fully independent Ethernet ports. The Mikrotik CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+PC comes with seven Gigabit Ethernet ports. You also have microSD card support. The passive cooling enclosure is one of the excellent options for efficient cooling.
A few of the features that we found to be quite improved would include-
- The router offers you access to a TILERA TILE-Gx9 TLR4-00980CG-10CE-A3a CPU clocked at 1GHz (the CPU core count is 9), 2 GB of RAM (the lighter version CCR1009-7G-1C-PC only features 1GB of RAM) and 128 MB of NAND storage memory.
- You also have access to a PCB and CPU temperature monitor.
- The RouterOS software (level 6 license) provides access to a vast number of configurations.
- It offers you 100BASE-LX/100BASE-SX/100BASE-BX fiber modules
16. Synology RT2600ac
In addition to the best quality wireless performance, the Synology RT2600ac comes with dual-WAN compatibility making it one of the preferred choices for use with multiple users simultaneously. The intelligent management techniques are one of the excellent features that would indeed make it one of the best dual-WAN routers. It also promises a robust wireless range.
Some salient features worth mentioning would be –
- The router comes with a USB 2.0 port, a single WAN port, and four Ethernet Gigabit LAN ports.
- The availability of an unusual MicroSD card slot is yet another plus point, which can be an excellent option for transferring the files when you are connected to the network.
- It supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz connectivity.
- The router offers you equipped the RT2600ac with a 1.7GHz quad-core Qualcomm IPQ8065 CPU, 512 MB of RAM, 4GB (Toshiba) / 8MB (Macronix) and a Qualcomm Atheros QCA8337 switch chip.
- Layer 4 & 7 hardware acceleration engine
We hope you like our article on the best Dual WAN load balancing routers available on the market. For questions or suggestions, please use the comment section down below.