Dashcams are slowly becoming a necessity today due to fascinating reasons. Insurance fraud, people trying to scam you on the streets, hit and runs, etc. While the use case is strong, so are the wide varieties of models available in the market. Since I was buying a dash cam for the first time, I had a limited budget. I was looking for something which is under $100 and offers the best bang for my dollars. I had my eyes on the Yi Dash cam for a long time and finally decided to go for it. I did buy it and never had to look back ever since. After using it for a couple of days, I decided to do an official YI DashCam Review here on our site. So here it goes.
Note: If you buy something from our links, we might earn a commission. See our affiliate disclosure statement.
Also Read: Features & Specifications Comparison Between the Yi Dash Camera & A118C
Our YI DashCam Review
The Yi Dome Camera is currently Amazon’s choice in the Car DVR/Dashcam category. Currently, it has a rating of 4.3 on Amazon with hundreds of reviews. It gave me the confidence to purchase without any second thoughts on this. I was already a customer of Xiaomi Yi products. I already own the Yi Dome Camera and was quite happy with the purchase.
[button_link size=”large” src=”http://amzn.to/2hBJqZf”]Buy From Amazon[/button_link]
Once I received the product, I wanted to set it up right away. Here is what Yi offers in the box.
- Yi Dash Camera (1 nos)
- 1 USB Car Charger (10-30V Input, 5V 1.0A Output)
- 1 Mount Bracket with 3M adhesive
- Standard Micro-USB cable/power cord 11.5 feet in length
You can alternatively use the iSaddle Car Dash Cam Mount holder from Amazon which works fine with this camera.
Not a lot is known about the internal chipsets being used in the device. Here are some of the basic specifications of the device.
Yi DashCam Review Camera Specifications
Here are some of its high-level specifications:
|Current Retail Price:||Check Price & Availability on Marketplace|
|Image Sensor & Camera Optics|| 2.99 Megapixels|
165° Ultra-Wide Angle Lens
F 1.8 Optical Lens
|Supported Video Capture Resolution:|
|Video Format:||H.264 & MP4|
|Storage||Minimum: 8 GBMaximum: 64 GB|
Class 10 or Higher recommended
|Interface and Connectivity Options:|| Wifi (801.11 n Single-Band)Micro-SD Slot|
Connect with Android & iOS Apps
|Display||2.7″ TFT LCD|
Here is our sample video for both day and night conditions.
What you will like:
- Low-Cost Device with WiFi connectivity.
- Native Apps for Android and iOS for secure connectivity and content transfer
- A 240 mAh inbuilt battery as a backup source of power. The camera can be operated without being connected to a power outlet.
- An easy menu system on a large 2.7″ LCD. Most users with basic knowledge can navigate through the menu
- Several 3rd party mounts are available online.
What you will not like
- The battery heats up easily while operating in high-temperature conditions
- The low light night video captures are not one of the best. There are other better alternatives in this category.
- The mount is one-time use only. If you want to reinstall, you will need to get new adhesives.
- The WiFi connection is sometimes erratic. You will have to retry a couple of times to get a successful connection.
Overall, the YI DashCam Review camera did quite well in different scenarios. Considering its low price, it is currently a strong buy for anyone who is in the market for a new dash cam.
We hope you like our YI DashCam Review. For any questions or feedback, drop us a comment below in the comment section.
Feedback taken. Tweaked that last line. Cheers!
Regarding your last statement: "You can get a Snapdragon 835 powered Android device at hal...
6 core 12 threads?