Mi Branded phones from Xiaomi sell out within seconds of its availability on online marketplaces. Their top end specs at affordable pricing make them highly attractive. If you are reading this, chances are high that you might have recently jumped the ship and bought yourself a Xiaomi phone. Now that you have bought yourself a Xiaomi phone, the next challenge is to migrate the data. Xiaomi has launched a p2p (Peer to Peer) Android app that helps you to do this. Xiaomi calls it the “Mi Mover” and it helps you to Migrate Data Apps from Any Android Phones to Mi Phones. In this post, we will give you step by step instructions to do this. Read along to know how.
Also Read: How To Clone Your SD Card To Another Device
Migrate Data Apps from Any Android Phones to Mi Phones
The Mi Mover app uses the new device as a “WiFi Hotspot“. The app does not use any Mobile data or WiFi internet to move your data. It connects to your old Android phone over WiFi directly and transfers data at 6 Mbps or more, depending on the WiFi speed. Using the Mi Mover app you can download the following data type/formats:
- User contacts
- SMS messages
- Local Music (NonDRM Protected)
- Videos(NonDRM Protected)
- Installed apps (APK only, No App Data)
- and other miscellaneous data
The entire migration process takes about approximately 30 minutes (Half-Hour) to complete, depending on content size. You will also get the option to migration your SD Card content in case you have one. However, if your new phone does not have an SD card installed, uncheck this option. You can always do this later or simply switch the SD cards from old to new. The WiFi connection is using encryption which ensures that your data transfer process is not being spoofed upon. Here are the connection detail screenshots.
Steps to Migrate Data Apps from Any Android Phones to Mi Phones Using Mi Mover App
Follow these steps given below, in order to kickstart the migration process.
- Download and Install the Mi Mover App on both the devices (Source and Target device). Here is the Google Play store link.
- Fire up the App on the new device and tap on “I’m a Recipient“.
- Generate a QR Code on the new device and scan it using the old device. The QR code will have the WiFi direct connection details.
- Alternatively, you can go to Settings>Additional Settings>Mi Mover (Tap on I’m Sender)
- On your old device, Open “Mi Mover“. On the next Page, Tap on “Start“
- Wait for both the device to initialize. This may take up to a minute.
- Once the WiFi connection is established, Select “Items to Transfer“. By default “SD Card” is unchecked and “System” and “Apps” are checked.
- Tap on the arrow on the apps to check and uncheck specific apps that you want to transfer. Note: App state is not transferred.
- Wait for the sync process to complete. The time varies based on data size that is being transferred.
Here are the screenshots below for the process mentioned above for your reference:
The entire process is very user-friendly. If you follow the steps diligently, the transfer process should complete with ease. However, some users have had issues with the app. Here are some few tips.
Mi Mover not Working or Responding
For users who is facing issues with the app not working correctly, here are some steps to ensure that the migration process works fine.
- Turn off the “Mobile Data” on both the sender and the recipient devices.
- If your camera is broken, try using the front camera to scan the QR code. There are currently no workarounds for this.
- Keep both the devices close to each other for the entire migration process. Any WiFi connection disruptions can hang the migration process for hours.
- Ensure both phones are compatible Android phones. Older versions of Android and MIUI may have some known issues.
We hope that this post was helpful. If you have any comments or suggestions, do drop us a comment below. Cheers!