Today, Prime Minister of India, Mr. Narendra Modi launched an official payment app called BHIM “Bharat Interface for Mobile“. The app is a part of the digital India push towards cashless payments. The app integrates with a customer’s bank account and phone number to enable secure payments. All transactions made on this platform uses the secure UPI network managed by the Government of India. Users can send money directly by scanning the barcode or using the recipient’s mobile number. The BHIM UPI app brings exciting new opportunities for India’s financial tech scene. If you want to get started with the BHIM UPI app, read along to know how.
Steps to configure & Setup the BHIM UPI app
Currently, the app is only available only on the Android Play store. Your first step would be to download the Android App from the Google Play store. We hope to see the ios equivalent of the app shortly in the Apple app store as well. Once the app is downloaded and installed, you will need to activate it. Here are the step by step instructions.
- Download the BHIM UPI app from the Google Play store here.
- Once installed, fire up the app and follow the on-screen instructions.
- On the screen which says “Welcome to BHIM” go ahead and Tap on “Next“
- On the next screen, the App service sends an SMS to your phone. This phone number needs to be registered with your bank account in order to be able to proceed through all the steps. If you are using Android 5.0 or less, please ensure your primary number is selected in the phone settings. If the wrong sim is selected in a Dual SIM phone, then you will receive the message “Account Does not Exist” message when selecting a bank (Step 8).
- Tap on “Let’s get started” and initiate the mobile verification process via. SMS.
- Once the phone is verified, proceed with adding your bank account.
- Setup a UPI PIN of your choice. The PIN currently accepts any four digit number.
- Tap on the bank from the list which is registered with your verified mobile number.
- Your savings account will automatically show in the list.
- Tap on your bank account and activate it for auto debit. In order to use this, you would need the last 6 digits of your debit card and the date of expiry. You can always tap on “Not Now” if you want to do it later.
- Once done, you will be greeted with a “Congratulations” message and you should now be able to send and receive money digitally using UPI.
Here are the screenshots for your reference:
Once mobile verification is done, Add your bank account that is associated with your verified mobile number. See the screenshots below:
Currently, only a subset of banks is listed in the app platform. We hope this list will expand over time and the app will include all the banks in India for a more seamless experience. Finally, when all the steps are successfully completed, you will see the final acknowledgment message as shown below.
You will also receive the following alert from your designated bank that you have tried to add your bank account for UPI transactions. Here is a sample message below:
Hello, you have initiated the process of adding Kotak Bank account in upi UPI APP
Your payment ID would be yourmobilenumber@upi. Either you use this format or directly scan the QR Code to send and receive cash. That’s it really. I hope this was helpful. Any comments or suggestions are welcome in the comment section below. Happy transacting!