The Yi dome camera is dubbed as a wireless IP security camera from Xiaomi. Yi is a subsidiary of Xiaomi which focuses on the IP camera market. Other products include the Yi Dashcam and 4k action cameras. There are some China-based action camera companies with a broad range of goods. However, Yi stands out with their products which have excellent built quality and uses high-quality components. Recently, Yi started offering their international versions of their products primarily for their American audience. We got our hands on with the Yi Dome Wireless IP camera (720p version). Unlike its Chinese counterparts which are plagued with buggy software, setting up the Yi camera was a breeze. In this post, we will talk about the android setup for Yi Dome camera. Read along to know how!
Android Setup for Yi Dome: Step by Step
The Android setup for Yi dome camera is easy and straightforward in most scenarios. Before you get started, you would need to connect the micro-USB cable at the back of the camera. It is recommended to connect the USB cable to a power socket with the power adapter provided in the box. The plug provided in the box is rated 1 Amps which is more than sufficient to power the IP camera. Follow the steps below to setup your Yi Dome camera in a jiffy.
- Once the Yi Dome camera is plugged in, you will hear a voice saying “Waiting to connect.”
- Download the “YI Home” companion app from the Google Play Store, if not already.
- Fire up the app and follow the on-screen instructions.
- To sign-in, you have two options, 1. Facebook, 2. Yi Account. For a single user usage, use the Facebook login, if you have a Facebook account. If not, then create a Yi account and login with its credentials. Note: If you are sharing the camera footage with your friends and family, create a Yi-account instead.
- Once logged in, click on the (+) sign in the top right-hand corner.
- Select your Yi Dome Camera (3rd from the top in our case) and proceed.
- Ensure you hear “Waiting to connect” from your Yi Dome camera. Tap on “I heard Waiting to connect.”
- Connect to your WiFi connection. Select your SSID and enter the WiFi password. Once finished, Tap on “Connect to WiFi.”
- The previous step generates a “QR Code.” Point the QR Code on your mobile device in front of the camera at a 30-degree angle. Tap “Next.”
- If everything goes well, you will hear “WiFi connection is successful.” The connection process takes about a minute to complete.
- That’s it! on the next screen, tap on “Start using my Yi“
Here is the Android Setup for Yi Dome step by step screenshots for your reference:
Once your camera setup is complete, you can tap on the camera app to view the live video footage from the Yi Dome camera. Even though the camera WiFi is encrypted, it is accesible over the internet. It is reccomended to setup a PIN to access the camera, especially when you are sharing it with family and friends.
Here are some post setup tips after the Android Setup for Yi Dome is complete.
- Setup a PIN number to access the camera. This should add a layer of security.
- Enable Cruise mode if you want to capture a wider 112-degree view of the camera.
- Allow “Motion Tracking” if you want to track movement in your house in your absence.
- The IR (Infra-Ray) mode is switched on automatically. There are no end-user settings for this. However, you can disable IR completely from the settings menu.
- Videos & Photos are directly uploaded on Yi private cloud service. Disable this option if you want to save internet bandwidth.
I hope this was helpful. If you have any questions or need any clarifications, please drop us a comment below in the comment section.